Triple cased gold repousse verge
Stock No. 1583
Leather & gold repousse triple cases, 55,5 mm.
An early 18th century London verge pocket watch, in gold pair cases, with an outer leather and gilt protective third case.
MOVEMENT : Gilt verge movement, with engraved and pierced balance cock, and silver regulator disk. Signed and numbered (623). Square pillars and blued steel screws. All in fine original condition and running well.
DIAL : Fine white enamel in almost perfect condition, with just some very light surface scratches, and tiny flakes around the centre aperture.
Nice original 18th century blued steel beetle and poker hands.
INNER CASE : 22ct. gold, with London hallmarks for 1738/39, maker’s mark SG (Stephen Goujon) with fish motif above.
Good high dome crystal. All in very good condition with just a little compression around the band. The hinge is fine and the bezel snaps shut correctly.
OUTER CASE : A fine and quite heavy 22ct. gold pair case, with repousse work, showing a classical scene.
Good condition, with just some rubbing to the high points of the repousse work though no pin holes, and some wear to the catch button.
The hinge and catch are fine and the bezel snaps shut nicely.
The gold cases weigh about 53 gms (excluding movement and crystal).
PROTECTIVE CASE : A gilt case, with black leather covering.
In good condition. The gold pins are all present, and the leather undamaged except for one small piece missing from the bezel at 2.
There are several generations of Francis Perigal listed in London during the18th century.
This is Francis (I), a Huguenot, who is listed in London, in the Clockmaker’s Company between 1741 and 1756, and set up his business in 1740. The case dates from a year or two earlier. Other cases by Goujon, made for Francis Perigal have been recorded, so this pair case is original to the movement.
The case maker is Stephen Goujon, who also had Huguenot origins. He was Master of the Clockmakers’ Company in 1760. His mark, SG with a gudgeon fish above, was registered at Goldsmiths’ Hall in 1720 his address given as Porter Street, Newport Alley.