Late 17thc. gold repousse single handed verge
Stock No. 1881
Gold repousse pair cases, 52 mm.
Single handed verge escapement
A very rare late 17thc. single handed verge, in slightly later gold repousse pair cases.
MOVEMENT : Gilded verge escapement, with beautifully engraved and pierced winged balance cock. Four tulip pillars and silver regulator disk.
Signed Jas. Harmar, Lon.
This watch has an original single handed movement, with no centre wheel and the single hand driven by a small wheel under the dial which is attached to the fusee arbor.
The movement is in good original condition, with just some scratches around the pillar tops and a small decorative piece missing from one of the tulip pillars. It is running well.
DIAL : A fine gold dial, with the chapter ring divided by half hour markers and 5 minute markers. Nicely engraved rosette to the centre.
In excellent condition. Both dial and dial false plate test as gold.
A nice early shaped black steel hand.
INNER CASE : Gold, with rubbed hallmarks for London, 1717. Case number 4238.
Winding aperture rotating cover to the back.
The stem has been reinforced from the inside and outside with gilt plates. Otherwise in good condition, with some slight compression around the band.
The bow, stem and added plates are gilt metal.
The hinge is fine and the bezel snaps shut nicely. The high dome crystal is good.
OUTER CASE : A particularly fine, gold (tested) repousse pair case, decorated with a Classical scene showing two female figures, and a Sphinx, pyramids and ship in the background.
In very good condition, with just some very light wear to the high points. No holes. The catch and hinge are fine and the bezel snaps shut correctly. The catch button shows very slight wear.
The style of engraving to the movement, and shape of the balance cock foot are typical of late 17thc. London movements. The cases are slightly later (though a perfect fit) and are probably both from 1717.
The gold weight is about 60 gms. including dial but excluding stem and bow.
Jasper Harmar is listed in London from 1683 until about 1716.