Stock No. : 1262

George Lindsay
London, c1770
Gold pair cases
Verge movement

An excellent quality verge repeater, in gold pair cases, by the Watchmaker to George III.

MOVEMENT : Gilded movement with cylindrical pillars, silver regulator disk, and diamond endstone. Beautifully pierced and engraved balance cock. The movement is signed and numbered (680).

Protected by a removable signed gilt dustcap which is also signed (G. Lindsay, Watchmaker to His Majesty) and numbered as the movement (680). All in very good condition, with just some small scratches to the dustcap. Running and repeating correctly.

DIAL : Fine enamel dial in excellent condition with just one small chip on the edge at 5. Nice 18th century steel beetle and poker hands.

INNER CASE : 22ct gold, with no hallmarks but maker’s mark MF under the bell. Beautifully pierced and engraved throughout. Very good condition. The high dome, bull’s eye, crystal is fine and the bezel snaps shut correctly.

The small lever on the bezel at 7 is a ‘pulse piece’ allowing the repeat to be silent but vibrating, by pressing the button during the repeat. This has worn a little short, but still works if pressed in with a pin during the repeat.

The bell is original and has the name ‘Drury’ scratched on it. These were London bell makers throughout the 18th century.

The case maker’s mark MF is probably for Michael Ferron who is listed at Church St., Soho, London from 1769.

OUTER CASE : 22ct gold, again with no hallmarks. The catch and hinge are fine and the bezel snaps shut though gapes a little. The small button on the bezel at 7 allows the pulse lever on the inner case to be pressed.

This case is pierced and engraved, and was originally decorated with blue, green and white enamel, most of which has worn off. On the inside there is a brass disk which has been added, presumably to strengthen the case. There are a few light bruises to the gold, but generally in good condition. The appearance may be improved if the remaining enamel was removed.

George Lindsay is listed at The Strand, London from 1743, until his death in 1776.

He was Watchmaker to George III.