Stock No. : 1150

Charles Cock
London, 1743
Gold repousse pair cases
Verge movement

This is a wonderful quality mid 18th century London verge, in gold repousse pair cases.

MOVEMENT : Gilt verge movement, with engraved and pierced ‘portrait’ balance cock, and silver regulator disk and diamond endstone. Signed ‘Cha. Cock, LONDON’ and numbered (488). Five baluster square pillars. Protected by a removable silver dustcap, signed and numbered as the movement.

The watch movement is in good original condition and running well, but the repeating movement has some parts missing under the dial (see photos) so is not working. The repeating parts between the plates appear to be complete and in good order (barrel, hammers, wheels etc.)

DIAL : Fine white enamel in very good condition with just a short hairline at the catch at 6, and a tiny chip on the edge at 9. Blued steel beetle and poker hands (the hour appears to be an original mid 18th century hand, but the minute is a later replacement).

INNER CASE : 22ct. gold, with clear London hallmarks under the bell (1743, maker EB). Beautifully engraved throughout, with the serial number (488) engraved near the stem. A few bruises on the back and around the stem but generally in good condition with no repairs. The hinge, bow, bell and high dome bull’s eye crystal are all in fine condition and the case snaps shut correctly.

OUTER CASE : A good 22ct. gold pair case, with wonderful repousse work (showing Europa with Zeus in the form of a bull). A few repairs to the high points of the repousse work where they have been worn down (lighter colour). The catch button shows a split but the hinge and catch are fine and the bezel snaps shut nicely. There are 2 small round holes in the bezel, near the catch (not sure of their purpose).

This repousse case is slightly too big for the inner case, so is probably a replacement, though it is of the correct period.

The gold cases weigh 64 gms (excluding movement and crystal).

Charles Cock was apprenticed in 1714 and listed in the Clockmakers’ Company between 1736 and 1757.